Dennis Turner Hardship Fund

Will reopen for 2021/22 shortly

The Dennis Turner Hardship Fund (which includes the Summer Fund) can be accessed by any students, home or international, who are struggling to make ends meet.  The fund is not classed as public money and does not affect the visa status of international students. These hardship funds are non-repayable, and can provide a short-term solution to students in this position.

The Dennis Turner Hardship Fund will reopen for the start of the next academic year, please keep checking this page for further information.

Hardship Fund FAQs: 

All current (i.e. enrolled) students, home and international, including those studying at partner institutions are eligible to apply for the hardship fund.

UK/Home Students can apply to the Hardship Fund if you:

  • have taken up and are in receipt of all statutory support that is available i.e. Maintenance Loan/Tuition Fee Loan/NHS Bursary 
  • Postgraduate students must have paid, or made arrangements to pay, their tuition fees. 

International and EU Students

You should have made provisions to pay your tuition fees and cover basic living costs before you commenced your studies if it is a condition of your visa. 

You can apply to the Hardship Fund if you have had a significant change in circumstances since enrolling on the course, and are struggling to cope financially. Applying for the Hardship Fund does not affect your visa status.


Who is not eligible?

  • Unfortunately, the fund is for current students only and cannot support students who are pre-entry, those on apprenticeships, TNE courses, or stand-alone modules.
  • University funding and bursaries cannot help towards your tuition fees.

 To request to negotiate a payment plan for your tuition fees, please contact (with your student number).

When we allocate awards, we are asked to give priority to the following groups:

  • Students with children
  • Disabled students (especially where DSA is unable to meet particular costs)
  • Students who have entered higher education from care for the period of time spanning their 16th birthday (regardless of age now)
  • Students who are 18 to 24 and have no communicative relationship with either living biological parent, or often their wider family
  • Students who are homeless
  • Students from low income families
  • Students receiving the final year loan rate 
  • Students who's courses have additional costs (for example, final year Arts students have to buy materials for their "show")
  • Students who suffer unforeseen change of circumstances during their studies

If you are not in one of the priority groups you can still apply but you must provide as much evidence as possible to show why you have a particular need.

You need to submit:

  • Most recent bank monthly statement that clearly shows your name, account number and sort code
  • Personal statement about the reason you are applying for financial assistance 

We do not accept:

  • Credit card statements
  • Store cards
  • Utility bills (ie phone/gas/electricity/broadband/etc.) 


Please make sure you have all the evidence ready before you apply, so you can easily upload it during the application process.  

You will submit your evidence as part of the application process, via e:Vision. You can save and return if necessary, but please do so within the time limit.

Saving evidence documents

  • Save all evidence files as a pdf., or word document. (We cannot accept image files.)
  • If you are unable to download and save evidence as a pdf. (for example, some online banking does not allow you to do this) you can take a screenshot of the statement and copy the image to a word document, then save as a pdf. 
  • Max file size 2mb.  
  • Please name the evidence documents appropriately. We suggest that you put your student number followed by a description of what it is, i.e. ‘1234567 Tax credits ’or ‘1234567 Tenancy’.   

Incorrect evidence can cause your application to be delayed or rejected. 


In exceptional circumstances emergency loans may be available to undergraduate full-time students, for example:

  • for first-year undergraduate students where there has been a delay in funding
  • for continuing students where there has been a delay in funding due to circumstances beyond their control
  • where banking systems crash, a student may need to apply for a short term loan.

Emergency loans are not normally available for part-time or postgraduate.

To apply:

Once you are FULLY enrolled simply email (with your student number in the subject line) for more help and guidance, or to apply.


The Dennis Turner Hardship Fund Panel meets weekly to decide cases and we aim to normally process all complete application forms within 2-3 working weeks. If the panel or an assessing officer requires more information to make an accurate decision, or if information is missing or ambiguous, it may take longer to give you a decision.  

Please note - your application will not be complete until all evidence has been received.

You will be notified of the Panel’s decision via email.

Awards may be made by instalments and may be subject to you seeking financial advice. 

We may ask to see evidence of this before further awards can be released. This should be clear from your award email. However, if you do not understand how the decision has been made, please contact the Funding Support team via email at (with your student number in the subject line).

Who to contact

For support with your application, or for advice on funding and finance support provided by the university, contact the Funding Support Team 

  • by email: 
  • or call the helpline: 01902 321070

Make sure you include your student number in all emails to the University.

In the event that you find yourself in a financial emergency please get in touch at the details above. Please provide your full name, student number and a brief statement of your individual circumstances and we will advise you. This may include referral to food banks. 


Further Support and Advice 

If your circumstances are getting worse, please remember the other resources that you have to hand. 

Students’ Union

The SU are currently running the SU Pandemic Fund, providing £50 ASDA vouchers and food parcels.

We recommend that you contact the Students’ Union’s Advice and Representation Centre (ARC) for advice and support on any matter. Please complete their enquiry form


 Citizen’s Advice Bureau

Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) can advise if you are in receipt of all the benefits that you are entitled to.